Introduction to the SRJC website
Since 2014, the SRJC website has been built within the Drupal 7 Content Management System (CMS) in a multi-site configuration, using the Zurb Foundation 5 responsive front-end framework. With Drupal 7 approaching its end of life, it is necessary to migrate each of our college sites to Drupal 8, and at the same time, upgrade to Zurb Foundation's version 6 framework.
One of the benefits of a multi-site configuration is that it allows college entities to personalize their site URL address, within IT guidelines, with a unique sub-domain. Also, because entity sites are effectively separate websites within the college community of sites, they benefit from having their own homepage. The net result is that sites can personalize and control their information, and site visitors can easily search for and find their site of interest.
Using Drupal and Foundation together has the following advantages:
- Your content will look good on large desktop monitors, smaller laptop screens, tablets, and mobile phones.
Ease of use
- Web pages can be more easily updated, indexed, and searchable to allow students, the community, faculty and staff to more easily locate information on our site.
Consistent look and feel across the entire college website
- All of our college sites use the same styles, colors, fonts, etc. to maintain a similar, yet consistent look and feel, with less effort on the part of backend content administrators and editors, and ultimately resulting in a more pleasing experience for our users.
Support for greater web accessibility
- Drupal 8 and Foundation were built to support and encourage proper use of semantic markup for accessibility - see Drupal's Accessibility page for more information
- For more information on making your SRJC Drupal site as accessible as possible please visit our guide to Creating Accessible Drupal Sites
- SRJC has a subscription to a Web Governance tool, Siteimprove, which will check for some accessibility compliance standards, as well as broken links and mispellings. Your Drupal 8 site will be added to Siteimprove once it is completed.